John J. Truitt, an attorney at Vernon Litigation Group, is “AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated” by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating an attorney can receive for their professional ethics and legal ability by their peers and the judiciary.
Mr. Truitt's Southwest Florida practice is focused exclusively on litigation, with concentrations in business & commercial litigation, trust & probate litigation, real estate litigation, and employment-related disputes, in both court and arbitration proceedings (including FINRA, JAMS, and AAA arbitration).
Prior to joining Vernon Litigation Group, Mr. Truitt served approximately five years as a prosecutor for the Office of the State Attorney, Twentieth Judicial Circuit, assigned to the Felony Division. As a prosecutor, he gained extensive and invaluable experience in the courtroom, comprising significant bench and jury trial experience that includes Economic Crime Unit cases.
Before serving with the State Attorney’s Office, Mr. Truitt spent nine years in law enforcement as a deputy sheriff with the Collier County Sheriff’s Office in Naples, Florida. During his tenure, Mr. Truitt held assignments in the Road Patrol Division and was then promoted to detective. While assigned to the Violent Crimes Bureau of the Criminal Investigations Division, Mr. Truitt developed an accomplished training resume, with a concentration in the oversight of complex investigations. Additionally, Mr. Truitt spent three years as a member of the SWAT team, where the unit was tasked with responding to a variety of high-risk incidents, including assisting with warrants and arrests, hostage situations, and high-profile protection details, often working with the United States Secret Service.
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Assistant State Attorney, Office of the State Attorney for the Twentieth Judicial Circuit
- Decorated sworn law enforcement officer
- Law: J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law
- Dean’s Certificate of Achievement for Outstanding Academic Performance in Business Associations
- Undergraduate: B.S., cum laude, Criminal Justice, University of Massachusetts